POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : pyramid and other macros??? : Re: pyramid and other macros??? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:13:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pyramid and other macros???
From: Ken
Date: 26 Dec 1999 14:06:42
Message: <38666848.57D00EB9@pacbell.net>
ryan mooney wrote:

> i cant seem to get my computer to render the pyramid.pov and other
> complex macros... not enough memory status win. warning or fatal pov
> error warning... i have tried to use all of my available mem. usually
> 40+ MB.. have not tried vir. memory... how much do i need to render the
> pyramid???

Ryan,

 Recursive macros like the pyramid macro are real memory pigs. If you have
a way to allocate virtual memory it is time to do so. Some of the very
complicated recursive macros that I have developed have taken as much as
500 megs of memory to process before they would render. Even though I am
running on a PC with 128 megs of physical memory I often have to go into
virtual memory when working with recursive macros like those used in
pyramid.pov and many of the recursive tree generating include files.
POV-Ray can eat a lot of memory in some applications and it looks to me
like you have found the limits of your system. It will process macros
of this type more efficiently and faster if you install more physical
ram on your system but you can also rely on much slower virtual memory
if you are unable to upgrade your system at this time. Just be prepared
to put up with a lot of hard drive activity when you do.